Friday, June 27, 2008

Baby's Gone - The Boy has Arrived

As I have only one child, each of his mildstones is unique to Beloved and me. Since I began baby sitting, I have always loved the way babies smell. Something about them is sweet and powdery. When Sniglet was born he smelled of baby and I had no reason to believe that my dear son would ever smell any other way.

However, late in the summer last year when he had been playing with friends, he stopped and walked over to me to get some water. He was hot, sweating and his face was glowing like a fresh picked apple, but something was different, that sweet smell of baby had been replaced by this odor. That odor immediately brought me back to the days of high school and how the boys smelled after a football game. I knew in that instant that any ruminates of baby had disappeared in Sniglet, as he now smelled like a boy.

I wondered when did that happen? Who stole my sweet baby smell and injected my son with that nasty worn one too many times tennis shoe smell?

Why doesn't anyone tell you that the smell is coming?

__________________________________________

"There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure” -Mark Twain



1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I guess the old tennis shoe smell is as sweet to me as the baby smell!!

Loved seeing you tonight. Great stories all around.

xoxo bon